A certain surprise by mixing up things badly and getting nice results at the end is more common with good old analogue films, rather than digital media. The whole snowball effect of mistakes that develops in an avalanche of uncertain outcome are of course not made on purpose, but are a necessary ingredient for expanding personal limits, like in my multiple exposures from last year.
This time I ran a roll of colour film through (at least) three different cameras. The first 36 images were from the last days of Buffy and were captured with my Fuji HD-R. Somehow the film cartridge got damaged in my backpack after it was exposed and I decided to put the film into a refillable cartridge which I stored in the fridge. Instead of bringing the film to a develop service I forgot about it and used it as a black and white test film for an Olympus mju camera.
I took the camera with me but made only occasional images until the (old) battery was too low. The camera's display counted 17 images and I decided to shoot the rest of the film in a newer Olympus mju II camera. At the end I was sure that the film was a 400 ASA black and white film, which I developed in coffee. ... and voila, after almost one year - unexpected results in a dozen.
all photos © Norman Beierle